It’s been two years since I “finished” the guest room. But now it’s really done. We had a very good September which enabled me to finally get the closet doors. I’d already decided which style I wanted since I’d had two years to plan it.
Here we are at the end of another UFO (unfinished object). I love the feeling, because it has me looking around for the next new thing. It’s more fun to start a new project than to finish something that’s been hanging around for a year. Ah, the possibilities.
On the other hand, there is something satisfying about sitting back and breathing a sigh of relief that I accomplished something all the way to the end.
Here are the plans I drew up to finish the glass tile table.
The beginning of this story is that I was able to get a plethora (that’s a fun word, say it again) of glass tile samples from a friend. I spent months soaking them off the carrier cards and cleaning of the excess paper. When we last left off, it was the middle of winter, and I had arranged them on some graph paper.
I couldn’t leave them there indefinitely. I had moved my design board out to the back porch when it was too cold to spend any time out there, but the weather was warming up, and I was forced into action. This meant building the table top and sticking all those tiles down.
You know how when you look at a project that you’ve finished and you breathe a sigh of relief that it’s all done? Well, maybe you don’t. I do. But then I generally find something else to pick at. This time I am sure I’m done.
Last May I remodeled our half-bath. Down to the walls. I think the only thing we kept was the mirror – which we had cut down and put a new frame on – and the medicine cabinet.
Early last year a good friend was giving away a bucketload of tile samples she got from a specialty store. I didn’t want everything, but I did want the glass tiles. I have wanted to try another table project ever since the back porch coffee table project. And now I want a bench/table on the front porch.
My office decided to have a cubicle decorating contest this year. I had a great time planning what I was going to do and what ornaments I wanted on my little tree. I won the competition. Partly because I am so darn creative and told everyone how I made everything, and partly because only one other person decorated with more than a wreath.
The beginning of my inspiration was a banner on Pinterest. It doesn’t look like the HGTV link from there works any longer, but I only needed the inspiration. I have a shelf on my outside wall, so I thought it could stand in for a mantlepiece. D— is a much better draw-er than I am, so I asked him to take a length of the roofing felt that we had leftover from doing the entry hall and draw a fireplace on it for me. He found a pastel crayon that didn’t flake and had this for me in about 30 minutes. Continue reading…
When we left off, I had finished the floor and needed to wait another day for the grout to set up. D— jumped in to help me with the painting and the moulding. He painted all the bead board panels and moulding. The biggest tip I have for anyone who takes a room down to nothing like this is to paint all your moulding before you install it. It’s far easier to touch up nail holes and caulk than it is to paint it on the wall.
Today was grouting and a few odds and ends. Since I can’t stop to take pictures as I’m doing the work, and D— wasn’t home to do it for me, I only have After pictures to show you.
I did it. My first experience with a real tile floor. I did a coffee table a few years ago, but that doesn’t really count since it was totally free form. But first I put up the new light fixture so I could see what I was doing in there!
There wasn’t much point in showing you all Day 2 all by itself, because the only thing I did was to patch holes and rip out the subflooring. And while that was intense, it doesn’t look that much different from the floor you’ve already seen.
But I got anxious to see what the tile would look like, so I laid it all down to test the spacing.